Kathryn “Kay” Ray
February 6, 2017
Kathryn “Kay” Ray and her husband Paul Ray moved to Cedar Falls from Rochester, Minnesota, where they were married in 1950. Paul Ray established his business on Dunkerton Road in Cedar Falls, “Paul Ray’s Paving Plant”. After her husband’s death in 1978 Kay remained active in Cedar Falls, where she was well known for her large, colorful, broad-brimmed hats and vivacious personality. Thoughtful estate planning allowed Kay to establish two funds, the Kathryn Ray Fund for the benefit of the Cedar Falls Public Library and the Kathryn Ray Fund for the benefit of Cedar Falls Recreation facilities. Since their initial investment with the Cedar Falls Community Foundation both funds have grown considerably and allow the public library and recreation center to provide programming and services for the residents of Cedar Falls beyond what their city budgets would normally allow.