Peter Melendy Award
The Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Award is presented to individuals or couples who have made outstanding voluntary community contributions that have enhanced, improved, or positively affected the overall quality of life in Cedar Falls.
The award is named for Peter Melendy who became a resident of Cedar Falls in 1859 at the age of 36. By living fully and energetically he contributed much to the cultural life and economic development of Cedar Falls. The Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Award is open to all Cedar Falls residents who reflect the example set by Peter Melendy.
Nominations are due by July 1, 2018. Previous nominations need not be resubmitted; they will be considered in subsequent years.
The Peter Melendy Community Builder Awards are sponsored by the Cedar Falls Community Foundation.
For more information contact:
Cedar Falls Community Foundation
P.O. Box 546
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Or call 319-243-9170
Make a Nomination
Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Awards will be granted to recognize individuals or couples who have made outstanding contributions to the City of Cedar Falls through selflessly dedicating their time, energy, knowledge, skills, and support. Awards will be made by the Cedar Falls Community Foundation.
Candidates for this award will be considered based on their voluntary community contributions that have enhanced, improved, or positively affected the overall quality of life in Cedar Falls. Nominations must show how the candidate(s) achieved this goal. The community contributions of candidates may be in the form of community involvement, commitment to volunteering their time and skills, leadership, community assistance, personal example, and/or personal accomplishments beyond the scope of their professional practice or financial support. (Election to a political office in itself does not qualify as criteria for receiving the award. Achievements in office would be the criteria for nomination and receipt of award.)
Posthumous awards will be eligible and viewed as a separate category from living/active candidates. No more than one posthumous award will be made in a given year. There will be no time restrictions on a posthumous award as there are many cases where those deceased have been unrecognized for long periods of time. In cases of posthumous awards, the award plaque will be delivered to either an organization, family member/loved one, or appropriate source for acknowledgement of the recipient.
The Cedar Falls Community Foundation will seek nominations for the Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Awards from citizens of Cedar Falls. Nominations must follow these guidelines:
- Include the name and address of the individual making the nomination.
- Submit a biographical sketch/resume of the nominee.
- Describe the specific contributions to the community of Cedar Falls.
- Include two letters of support from community members speaking to the nominee’s contributions.
- Nominations may be submitted at any time.
Submit materials by mail to:
Cedar Falls Community Foundation
P.O. Box 546
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Or contact email@example.com.
An Award Selection Committee of members of the Cedar Falls Community Foundation Board plus the Executive Director of the Cedar Fall Historical Society.
Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Award recipients will be announced in local newspapers and newsletters. The award will be presented at a community event.
Previous Award Recipients
- Joan Diamond has been an active volunteer in Cedar Falls for over fifty years, generously sharing her time, talents, and resources to make a difference in the community and its artistic, historical, and philanthropic organizations. Joan Englund was born 3 February 1929 at Galesburg, Illinois, the daughter of William D. …Read More »
- Theresa (Wangler) Sartori was an exemplary wife and mother. This was expected of every woman born in 1833. Her youth in Germany is largely undocumented except for the plain fact of her birth, as a daughter of Konrad Wangler, burgomeister, of Baden. At age 19, she attracted the admiration of …Read More »
- Cedar Falls Community Foundation 2015 Peter Melendy Award Nominees for the Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder award have made outstanding contributions to the City of Cedar Falls, voluntarily contributing time, energy, knowledge, skills and support beyond the scope of their professional practice, that has enhanced, improved or positively affected the …Read More »
- Cedar Falls Community Foundation 2015 Peter Melendy Award Liane Christoffersen Nichols is the 2015 recipient of the Peter Melendy Community Builder Award. A lifelong resident of Cedar Falls, Liane exemplifies the community spirit championed by Melendy. Liane was born and raised in Cedar Falls, the only daughter of Iver and …Read More »
- 2014 posthumous Peter Melendy Community Builder award It is often difficult to document the contributions of pioneer women. Their surnames are lost to marriage and they were rarely mentioned in the local newspaper or history books. One of our first pioneer women however, has been remembered because of her importance …Read More »
- Cedar Falls Community Foundation 2014 Peter Melendy Award The 2014 Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Award is presented to C. Hugh Pettersen for his visionary ideas and dedication to the community. Much of what Hugh did was done quietly, behind the scenes, such as offering to pay to have the …Read More »
- Ella Cotton Rownd has provided the community of Cedar Falls with an outstanding example of how one individual can have a long term impact on the quality of community life while also caring for her family. Ella’s careful estate planning insured that her family was provided for and that her estate …Read More »
- The hallmark of this 2013 awardee is “selfless willingness” – his own and that which he inspires in others. The 2013 Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Award is presented to Vilas L. “Sid” Morris for extraordinary dedication to this community by volunteer service and by motivating others to participate in …Read More »
- Quotes are excerpted from Since I Started for the War: The Letters and Diary of Solomon Barrick Humbert Co. B, 31st Iowa Volunteer Infantry by Jeanine Humbert Johnson and Cynthia Huffman Sweet, (Cedar Falls, Iowa, 2007). Solomon Barrick Humbert was born in Potter, Yates Co., New York on 30 May …Read More »
- The 2012 Peter Melendy Distinguished Community Builder Award is presented to Judith Cutler for extraordinary dedication and service to the enrichment of the lives of the citizens of Cedar Falls. Judi’s background in our community was first noted on July 23, 1974, when she was employed by the City of …Read More »